Monday, March 10, 2008

We have ignition!

Ok folks,
The majority of the hardware has been acquired and some of the software testing has been done. I'd bet I can get a working copy of the head tracking software up by Friday evening at the latest.
Only hangups so far: Make sure you know what you need if you're going to build your own sensor-bar/clip on IRLed units. I went to Radio shack and realized I didn't know how to push the right amount of current through the device.

The salesman (while being very excited to my cause, handed me an equation that had been done, flat out wrong. I double checked it when I got home so all is well, no parts lost but some returns must be made.

The USB-Bluetooth interface works like a charm. Took a little wheedling to get the Wiimote to talk perfectly with my system but that was all over with in about 10 minutes. I've verified that it is indeed talking with a 3rd party library called WiimoteLib v1.2.1 . There sample application sheds some serious light on what the Wiimote can and is doing every second. It's remarkable really. Such a small, rugged, ergonmic device with so complex underpinnings.

I've gone with C#.NET as my language choice, not because I think it's the best, but because I know it best and all of my readily accessable testing gear will be the .NET framework. I do intend to develop for Linux and Mac X, yet that's a longer term goal. I need to get as much of this up and running as quickly as possible if only so I can maintain my own momentum.

There was another glimmer of hope. Supposedly RIT's robotics team is already working on similar projects. I'm hoping to set up a face to face with them at some point so we can combine ideas and hopefully learn from each other. As I've said, I've got an extreme deficit of manpower. So anyone who wants to help me on this little foray into the unkown I would love to hear from.

No comments: