Friday, March 14, 2008

When software enters the picture

I took a cursory glance at the code projects provided as samples to go along with the Wiimote projects. It turns out there is good news and there is better news. One thing Johnny Lee neglected to mention in his online video tutorial were the config files that need to be set up, as well as the initialization that needs to be done once you've deployed the hardware. It turns out (and not unexpectedly) that the software that process the rig is very sensitive to relative positions of objects. So you need to specify the distance between the 2 points on your emitter (something in which my setup must vary from either the [standard] Wii Sensor Bar, or Johnny's Goggles [now that has a nice ring for a product name...]) you also need to initialize the vertical centerpoint. You also need to instruct the program as to whether the Wii-mote is above or below the screen. One thing that I did find interesting was that you never had to initilize your distance from the screen.

The rest of the good news comes from the fact that this doesn't look like complete gibberish to me. It'll take me a good handful of learning regarding whatever graphics package I go with (and that'll take research into which is the best/most portable) and it'll take me a little bit to remember all my trig/ELA, but it doesn't seem daunting.

Once again I hit a hardware wall. I'd not expected to run into that issue quite as soon again. Without a second Wii-mote all I can do is develop an environment that you can "look" into, but n ot simultaneously interact with. However this does free me up some time to think about "alternative" peripherals. Perhaps a series of additional "positional" sensors that detect hip movement, or shoulder twisting. Adding in gloves that provide force feedback.

In reality little of this would require a Wii-mote and I could engage in a lot of these projects (and have a lot of fun) without the use of a Nintendo branded product. But they provide such a nice platform of hardware for such an afordable price that I really can't say no. The other major issue I face is my complete lack of ability to fabricate housings. I can prototype and do the electrical/software design, but I've got nothing to put it on. I know some guys who do custom fab with a laser cnc, and I might know someone who could get me access to a cnc, but it doesn't change the fact that in the end I really end up paying for whatever I'm doing.

No comments: